Step 6 in Building the Dream Water Garden – Water Treatment
It is imperative to the health of fish and plants to keep your pond's water clean and clear.
- Dechlorinate The Water – Once you have filled the pond, remove harmful chlorines and chloramines that are inherent to tap water. Little Giant’s liquid dechlorinator will remove these harmful properties. Use the dechlorinator any time you add water to the pond. Follow the application instructions on the bottle.
- Test The Water – Little Giant’s test strips will give you a reading on the pH level, nitrite level, and buffering capacity of your pond. The buffering capacity is the alkalinity level, which helps prevent large pH swings.
- Buffer The Pond – Add Little Giant’s buffer to maintain a buffering capacity of 80-240 ppm (parts per million). A properly buffered pond will resist changes in pH due to acid rain and other external factors.
- Adjust pH Level – If the level is not above 6.5, apply Little Giant’s pH Increase by following bottle application rates. You should not change the pH level more than .2 points per day. A drastic change can cause stress and possibly harm your fish. A pH reading of 7.0 is optimal.
- Add Water Clarity Products – Flocculants will help clear and maintain the ugliest of dirty water problems. Be sure to clean your mechanical filter system multiple times after using a flocculant.