In 2016, Franklin Electric is celebrating the 75th anniversary of Little Giant®. Recently, at the employee celebration held in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, the company was recognized by Mick Cornett, Mayor of the City of Oklahoma City, with the issuance of a proclamation for reaching this historic milestone. In addition, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, Gregg Sengstack and Franklin Electric Vice President and President of North America Water Systems, DeLancey Davis spoke about the longevity of the company and how it revolves around great people.
To view the video, click here.
2016 marks the 75th Anniversary for the Little Giant® brand of plumbing, HVAC, dewatering, utility and a variety of other pumps. Little Giant, a Franklin Electric brand, originated in 1941 when a plumber named R.M. “Doc” Wolfe found a solution to the quality challenges he faced with evaporative cooling pumps. The Little Giant Vaporizer was born and was considered the first electric motor-driven submersible pump of its kind on the market. Shortly thereafter, the Little Giant Vaporizer Company was created in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, where 15 employees manufactured submersible vaporizers for evaporative coolers.
“Little Giant products and people have been an important addition to the Franklin family,” said DeLancey Davis, Franklin Electric Vice President and President of North America Water Systems. “Little Giant has provided a terrific base business in the wastewater, HVAC and outdoor living channels, and holds strong brand recognition with key areas of distribution in each of these markets. Much of this can be attributed to consistent product introductions, innovations, and a loyal customer base that has continued to make Little Giant their brand of choice for 75 years. The Little Giant brand was built on dedication to quality and availability and is a testament to our loyal employees who put their craftsmanship into every Little Giant product to support our customers’ craft. We are truly grateful to our ideal collection of employees, customers, and business partners who have teamed together for 75 years to make Little Giant the leader it is today.”
After World War II, Little Giant purchased an aluminum die-casting machine and started taking on die-casting contractor work in the 1940s to further increase sales and personnel expertise. By 1950, this expertise had grown so much that the company was able to develop and manufacture an upgraded Little Giant Vaporizer Pump that could be used anywhere water recirculation was a problem. This basic, self-contained electric motor-driven submersible pump was a small low-pressure, high-volume pump that was used specifically for the recirculation of water for evaporative coolers, minnow tanks, home garden pools and fountains, light coolant oils for machine tools, laboratory uses and many other water transfer applications.
In 1954, the development of the Little Giant C2 and C3 pumps signaled the company’s true entrance into the condensate pump business. In 1960, the company reorganized and changed its name to Little Giant Corporation, expanding its focus to battery chargers and steam cleaning machines that were later sold so the company could focus completely on water pumping. Over the next 20 years, the company continued to build its name around innovation with: condensate removal pumps (1958), sump pumps (1963), magnetic drive pumps (1968), sump/sewage/effluent pumps (1980), Eliminator Series 8E, 9S, 10S pumps (1985), aquarium pumps (1990), WRS-5 and WRS-6 sewage basins (1990), pool cover pumps (1996), decorative outdoor living products for the landscape industry (1997), the VCMA condensate pump (1999), grinder pumps (2000), Pit+Plus® sewage basins (2003), and outdoor living LED lights (2004).
Little Giant was purchased by Franklin Electric, a leading global manufacturer of pumps, motors, drives and controls for residential, commercial, agricultural, industrial and municipal applications, in 2006. With the combined Franklin engineering and manufacturing teams, the Little Giant brand has continued its focus on providing innovative products that solve contractor challenges in the pumping industry. Little Giant’s wastewater product expertise includes sump, sewage, effluent, dewatering, condensate, magnetic drive, and utility pumps, as well as low pressure sewer systems. The Little Giant Outdoor Living product line includes a variety of pumps and accessories for decorative water, hydroponics, aquarium, pool, and marine applications.
For more information on Little Giant wastewater products, visit www.littlegiant.com.
Little Giant® recently released multiple new videos to help better serve you. Video topics and content were based on the most frequently asked questions to our Technical Service Hotline. These videos were created to be a snapshot for addressing common challenges by demonstrating simple troubleshooting and maintenance procedures for Little Giant products. Check them out!
We recently teamed with the Military Makeover™ national television series on the Lifetime® Network to provide retired Technical Sergeant Kevin Parke and his family of seven with multiple water features and system solutions for their home in Crestview, Florida, in recognition and gratitude for the sacrifices he made for our country. See the tune in here and set your DVRs today!
- The season five series premier of Designing Spaces® Military Makeover is initially airing on Lifetime Network at 7:00 a.m. ET/PT on February 18, 2016, and then re-airing at the same time and network on February 25, 2016.
- Episode three of the three-part series, also featuring Little Giant, can be seen on Lifetime Network at 7:00 a.m. ET/PT on March 17, 2016, and will re-air at the same time and network on March 24, 2016.
Products Featured on the Show
Little Giant® was thrilled to work directly with the family to identify multiple water features and system solutions:
- A stunning Koi Pond featuring a Little Giant pump, skimmer, biological water filter, liner and LED lighting for the Parke’s relaxation pleasure. The installation of this feature was generated initially by Sergeant Parke’s love for Koi Ponds. “I’ve always found them to be incredibly relaxing,” said Sergeant Parke. “A naval hospital in Maryland had one and I just sat there for hours. It was just awesome. Relaxation is often difficult for me, so I’m excited to sit by one whenever I want now.” Around the Koi Pond, Little Giant teamed with Rene West and Executive Landscaping, from Pensacola, Florida, to provide a brick patio, numerous environment-enriching plants and other surrounding foliage that enhances the entire feature.
- A Little Giant Disappearing Fountain outside the front porch that provides an aesthetically pleasing feature to the front of the home so the family can sit and enjoy the calming sound of water flowing through a stunning bowl basin.
- Little Giant products provided from our plumbing/HVAC line:
- Little Giant WRS Series sump pump system attached to a new utility sink in the garage to help the family clean up before entering the home.
- VCMX-20 Series condensate pump to remove condensate created by the new ice maker in the garage.
- Inline 400 pressure boosting system to increase water pressure throughout the home when water is being used for multiple needs, such as laundry, dishes, and showering.
Kevin Parke’s Story
Kevin Parke is a recently retired Air Force veteran where he was an Explosive Ordinance Disposal Technician. During his second deployment in Afghanistan, he specialized in disarming IEDs (improvised explosive devices) to keep our soldiers safe when traveling through the country. Within a timeframe of six months, retried Sergeant Parke and his team disarmed 87 IEDs before they exploded and analyzed another 50-plus IEDs post blast. During this same time, he was also part of three missions where IED’s detonated underneath his military vehicle, causing multiple back, leg and brain injuries that he, and subsequently, his family now endure every day.
“This was a win-win opportunity for Little Giant/Franklin Electric,” said DeLancey Davis, Franklin Electric’s President of its North America Water Systems division. “We had the opportunity to showcase our products, work with a terrific organization and serve a truly worthy family. It also provided our staff the chance to work with professional water systems contractors and get hands-on experience with how our entire offering of cleanwater, wastewater and outdoor living products benefit a local family. We thank Sergeant Parke for his service and wish his family the best with their remodeled home.” For more information about Designing Spaces’ Military Makeover, visit http://www.militarymakeover.tv/.